The Cost Accountant will oversee the analysis and reporting on all costs associated with operations and is responsible for ensuring accurate and timely inventory general ledger transactions. This role will require strong problem-solving and analytical skills as well as a keen eye, necessary to manage vast amounts of numerical data and spot inaccuracies. Ideal candidates will work comfortably under pressure, deliver on tight deadlines, and possess the ability to work on their own initiative as well as part of a team. Ongoing partnering and communication with various individuals from the operations team is to be expected. Travel for this position is required up to 25%.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform daily, quarterly, and annual standard cost updates for material cost in the ERP system.
- Calculate and update labor rates annually.
- Develop and implement method for updating manufacturing cost annually.
- Develop and implement standards for any newly created entities (material and labor).
- Perform periodic purchase and work order variance analysis as well as make recommendations for reducing these variances.
- Perform utilization and productivity analysis as well as make recommendations for improving these metrics.
- Perform margin analysis and detail breakdown on projects in addition to other job upon request.
- Support team members with job and inventory transactions through research and provide appropriate training to avoid further challenges.
- Translate cost accounting concepts (including absorption, variances, inventory valuation and job cost valuation) to non-finance management and support the learning process of these concepts.
- Perform various journal entries and reconciliation related to cost, inventory and intercompany as required.
- Ensure all intercompany transactions are being posted timely and accurately.
- Calculate inventory reserves and maintain listing of reserved items and values.
- Oversee the annual physical inventory for each entity.
- Develop, implement, monitor/audit a cycle count program for each entity.
- Perform all annual audit requirements related to inventory and production costing.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, meetings, workshops, etc.
- Perform related duties as assigned by Controller.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Must have minimum of five (5) years of experience in accounting.
- Must have experience in a manufacturing environment with significant exposure to Cost Accounting and Physical Inventory.
- High Level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel, ERP systems, and report/query writing and development experience.
- Performs work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and follow directions.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job duties consistent with ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Ability to work safely and adhere to the Swanson Safety System in daily job duties.
Benefits-eligible: medical, dental, vision, matching 401k, paid vacation, etc.
Swanson Industries, Inc. is a global leader in engineered hydraulics, providing hydraulic cylinder manufacturing, remanufacturing, and repair services for the mining and mobile industries. We are poised for continuous growth as we expand our global presence. For more information, visit www.swansonindustries.com!